Friday, September 26, 2008

Chinese Online Class - Awesome Mandarin! Must listen! - Page 3 -








> Learning Chinese > Speaking and Listening
Awesome Mandarin! Must listen!
Home New Posts

Login: Pass: Log in or register for standard view and full access.





Page 3 of 5 < 12 3 45 >






self-taught-mba -



Quote:

I have to disagree with self-taught-mba, whose very name implies a certain degree of pomposity
(had to say it, I think that every time I read it lol),

Thank you for your honesty. I have often regretted naming myself that. However, it is the most
descriptive way to describe myself and is not meant to be arrogant at all. I am after all
self-taught and an MBA. Being self-taught is nothing special-believe me, I'm not trying to make
myself out to be a hero or anything. If you read my story about how I learned you realize that it
was forced upon me because the system failed me.

Like I said before being self-taught is totally within the realm of possibility to get to a basic
level. The biggest problem I have is with the attitude the "Chinese must be hard." That is
absolutely ridiculous but a common misbelief. Note how no one is lauding his English skills! As if
somehow Chinese were more difficult than English!!!! This is a very American point of view, but
very common. We do not appreciate how hard English languages to learn and I am most impressed by
his use of the English language.

Why is it that we say "Wow, you speak Chinese!" but we don't say "Wow, you speak English!" Think
about that.



Quote:

If you have developed that speaking skill solely from self study I would be blown away.

Come meet some of the people I've met and you'll be blown away then. Last week I sat down with Da
Wei (you know the guy that's had his own TV show) for 3 hours, who was also self-taught for the
most part. (But then again people pretty much tried to chase him off the board for advocating
reform that more closely mimics the methods self-taught people have been using)



Pleco Software Learn Chinese with our Dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC.
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Chinese Textbooks Wide range, cheap, varied languages. Also Chinese cartoons, toys, gifts.
Study Chinese in Beijing Affordable Mandarin language courses at BLCU with ChinaUnipath.com.
HNHSoft Dictionary Learn Chinese on Smartphone and PDA with real person's voice.
XueXueXue IQChinese Get beyond the plateau.Take your Mandarin to a new level.
Chinese in Lijiang Short term Chinese study in a beautiful town with a focus on daily life.
MandarinTube Chinese Access to current everyday Chinese language and culture, 24/7.
Learn Chinese Homestay Chinese course, cultural activities & volunteer events in China.
Learn Chinese Online 1-on-1 instant tutoring, diverse courses, native teachers. FREE trial now!
Nihao Chinese Progam Free one-on-one Chinese lesson. Win 5-years of free lessons now!


About Ads (and how to hide them) -- Your message here









bomaci -



Quote:

I also would like to know if you had any language partners bomaci? How often did you speak with
your Chinese coworker? If you have developed that speaking skill solely from self study I would be
blown away.

I have an opportunity to use chinese daily, so I get alot of speaking practice. However I still
feel I need to study. I don't think speaking practice alone gets you anywhere. I have met
countless of immigrants in Sweden who get tons of speaking practice everyday and still have a
thick accent. You still have to do a lot of listening and reading on your own. Where speaking
practice can help is to confirm that you are on the right track, that people actually can
understand your mandarin.










necroflux -

self-taught-mba, your post totally dispels any assumptions I made from your name, I fully withdraw
that comment. Well said. I was fully expecting a return jab at "necroflux" lol.










necroflux -



Quote:

I have an opportunity to use chinese daily, so I get alot of speaking practice. However I still
feel I need to study. I don't think speaking practice alone gets you anywhere. I have met
countless of immigrants in Sweden who get tons of speaking practice everyday and still have a
thick accent. You still have to do a lot of listening and reading on your own. Where speaking
practice can help is to confirm that you are on the right track, that people actually can
understand your mandarin.

No question I think every aspect of a language is equally important. I personally can feel when
I've been ignoring one in favor of the others.. it's like filling up multiple pools with water if
you will.










carlo -

Thanks for the link to the complete script of 我爱我家. I searched for this a couple of years
ago without success (I think they had only finished transcribing four episodes last time I
checked), it's nice to have the full version, I'm sure many learners of Chinese will appreciate it.










imron -

Don't know about the other scripts, but watching the first episode while looking at the script,
there were quite a few mistakes. Usually it seemed to be that the person doing the transcribing
was just using a different way of saying the same thing, but at other times, there are complete
sentences in the script that aren't said in the show.










Gestalt -

Bomaci,

I'm impressed. If your patented method costs less than Steve Kaufmann's, I'll buy it

How many hours a day/week did you spend speaking Mandarin, and how much on self-study? I presume
you must have spent quite a bit of time each day to get that good that fast?










bomaci -



Quote:

How many hours a day/week did you spend speaking Mandarin, and how much on self-study? I presume
you must have spent quite a bit of time each day to get that good that fast?

I approximately speak mandarin for an hour every day. So of course that helps. However I had to
study alot to be able to do that without the conversation turning into english. I self study on
all the spare time I have. I try to get in at least an hour of self study a day, sometimes i
manage 2. However I would like to point out that while being able to converse in mandarin alot
helps with fluency it does nothing to correct your tones unless you train yourself to hear your
errors. Also vocabulary used in conversation tends to be a bit limited so you still have to study
on your own.










self-taught-mba -



Quote:

self-taught-mba, your post totally dispels any assumptions I made from your name, I fully withdraw
that comment.

No offense taken originally and thank you for being cordial with a withdrawal.










mandarinstudent -

Bomaci, thanks for the links to the scripts for 我爱我家, but it seems what Imron said was
true:



Quote:

Don't know about the other scripts, but watching the first episode while looking at the script,
there were quite a few mistakes. Usually it seemed to be that the person doing the transcribing
was just using a different way of saying the same thing, but at other times, there are complete
sentences in the script that aren't said in the show.


My chinese is not good enough to pick out what the mistakes are sometimes...i.e. I know that what
they are saying isnt in the script, but i cant pick it out..or I hear an extra syllable or a
missing syllable but dont know what it is. Given that they are speaking so fast and using "native
speak" (今儿 instead of 今天 which is what im used to hearing...etc.), it is taking me forever
to muddle through the first 5 minutes of the show because the script doesnt exactly match. Im used
to recordings where they speak "perfect" Chinese very slowly. Im trying to get to the next level
and after listening to your interview and how well you speak, I thought it would be a good idea to
try this to improve my listening ability and help me speak more fluently. This show is perfect for
practicing "practical, everyday" Chinese that gives you an idea of the speed and manner in which
real (not from the tapes that come with your textbook or people reading the news)Chinese people
sound, but Im stuck because the scripts dont match perfectly. How did you get around this? Is
there a place to download the exact scripts? Maybe there is another show that is similar that also
has scripts to go with it? Is there a kind soul willing to correct the scripts for us beginners?












All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:33 PM.














Learn Chinese, Learn mandarin, Learning Materials, Mandarin audio lessons, Chinese writing lessons, Chinese vocabulary lists, About chinese characters, News in Chinese, Go to China, Travel to China, Study in China, Teach in China, Dictionaries, Learn Chinese Painting, Your name in Chinese, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese songs, Chinese proverbs, Chinese poetry, Chinese tattoo, Beijing 2008 Olympics, Mandarin Phrasebook, Chinese editor, Pinyin editor, China Travel, Travel to Beijing,

No comments: