Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Chinese School - What do I need to install to 'read' hieroglyphs on my PC? -








> Learning Chinese > Chinese Computing and Technology
What do I need to install to 'read' hieroglyphs on my PC?
Home New Posts

Login: Pass: Log in or register for standard view and full access.








Paranoia -

Hi all.

I'm learning Chinese for two months now and I would like to make things easier for me by browsing
Chinese sitesл

However, there is one problem. My browser (IExplorer) doesn't seem able to show me Chinese
characters. That means that they are showed as simple squares which is not helping me much (:

I know it's something simple, but I'd be very grateful if someone can help me (:

All the best, Alexander.



Pleco Software Learn Chinese with our Dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC.
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Chinese Textbooks Wide range, cheap, varied languages. Also Chinese cartoons, toys, gifts.
Study Chinese in Beijing Affordable Mandarin language courses at BLCU with ChinaUnipath.com.
HNHSoft Dictionary Learn Chinese on Smartphone and PDA with real person's voice.
XueXueXue IQChinese Get beyond the plateau.Take your Mandarin to a new level.
Chinese in Lijiang Short term Chinese study in a beautiful town with a focus on daily life.
MandarinTube Chinese Access to current everyday Chinese language and culture, 24/7.
Learn Chinese Homestay Chinese course, cultural activities & volunteer events in China.
Learn Chinese Online 1-on-1 instant tutoring, diverse courses, native teachers. FREE trial now!
Nihao Chinese Progam Free one-on-one Chinese lesson. Win 5-years of free lessons now!


About Ads (and how to hide them) -- Your message here









Hongbao -

You just need to find your language preferences under the control panel and, under the tab
Langauges, tick the box to install files for East Asian langauges.










Quest -

I don't think Windows XP had any hieroglyphic fonts.... they are better found in pyramids










atitarev -



Quote:

I don't think Windows XP had any hieroglyphic fonts.... they are better found in pyramids



In some languages Chinese and Japanese characters continue to be called "hieroglyphs". Well, apart
from meaning illegible they mean picture symbols. In Russian "hieroglyph" (иероглиф) is a
standard term for hanzi/kanji. We simply don't have another term for it, "symbols" perhaps. I
taught a Chinese person Russian and she was surprised to hear the word like you are but there's
nothing offensive or derogatory in it.










johnd -

Do what Hongbao says. You will need your Windows CD to complete the installation.










johnmck -



Quote:

You will need your Windows CD to complete the installation.

I didn't. Well to be honest I did. On my works PC I needed the CD to to the installatoin while on
my home PC I didn't. I guess when the manufacture installs windows on your PC he can decide
whether or not to do a minimum installation of the OS.










Paranoia -

Sincere thanks to everyone who got involed in the thread (:
I don't have a Windows CD at the moment but I'll find one asap because I'm eager to help myself
via internet (:

About the 'hieroglyphs'.
As atitarev explained, in some languages the term hieroglyphs is still officially used.
Furthermore, it's the only word in use for Chinese characters. I'm from Bulgaria and in the late
19th century/eary 20th century the Bulgarian language was heavily flooded with Russian words, and
the name of Zhongguo is Kitai (Китай), which is the Russian name for China, so that it's not
big surprise that I recognize hanzi as hieroglyphs (:

I don't know how the Chinese characters are named in other languages and it's a big surprise that
they are not known as 'hieroglyphs' all over the world (:

Best wishes to all.










imron -

In English, they are usually known as "chinese characters", or even just "characters".










phunkyphred -

yeah, if there's someway or where to download the east asian language packet without the windows
XP disc that'd be wonderful.

I am in the military and i've moved quite a bit. I have no ideas where the devil my XP disc is.













flameproof -



Quote:

I have no ideas where the devil my XP disc is.

I don't suggest to D/L a complete CD from places like Isohunt.com , that would be against most
peoples morals.

Actually I did D/L a complete Xp CD, since I also temporarily misplaced a original CD. You can
also do a full install, but you will need YOUR original code. Code you find on the web will not
work.

BTW, I run Linux Ubuntu on one PC. It's free and runs very well. And displays and writes Chinese
too.

>About the 'hieroglyphs'.
He does not call Chinese characters 'hieroglyphs'. He calls what you see on your screen with no
proper decoding 'hieroglyphs'.












All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:10 PM.














Learn Chinese, Chinese School, Learning Materials, Mandarin audio lessons, Chinese writing lessons, Chinese vocabulary lists, About chinese characters, News in Chinese, Go to China, Travel to China, Study in China, Teach in China, Dictionaries, Learn Chinese Painting, Your name in Chinese, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese songs, Chinese proverbs, Chinese poetry, Chinese tattoo, Beijing 2008 Olympics, Mandarin Phrasebook, Chinese editor, Pinyin editor, China Travel, Travel to Beijing, Travel to Tibet

No comments: