Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Learn mandarin - Accomodation and working hours for teachers -








> Studying, Working and Living in China > Living in China > Teaching English in
China
Accomodation and working hours for teachers
Home New Posts

Login: Pass: Log in or register for standard view and full access.








nitropuppy -

I'm thinking of moving to the Chengdu region. (couple years) I'm qualified to teach english. But,
I also have business interests in the States. I'll need the time to manage this.
Also, I can afford my own apartment. I'm accustomed to "Western "living. So, I will not want to
live "on campus". I toured a new apartment complex in Chengdu last winter. It was modern with
"Western" styling. I would like to live there. In addition, my wife lives in Chengdu. I will want
to set up a new apartment for us.
I was hoping somebody would have some information for me. My questions are this;
A. Do schools or universities, insist on teachers living on campus? Or can a foreigner rent his
own place? Any restrictions??

B. I have read some of the horror stories about schools piling on the hours. Then threatening
police or worse, if you don't comply.. I don't care if they they nickel and dime me on salary
issues. I'm not teaching for the money. The "Z" visa will help me stay in country. And I feel it's
important to give something back to the community. But, I don't want to get trapped into working
numerous hours. Can I get a teaching contract that stipulates (concretely) that I will only work
10-15 hours a week? How rare are part time teaching jobs?

Thanks for any insight you could share.



Pleco Software Learn Chinese with our Dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC.
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Chinese Textbooks Wide range, cheap, varied languages. Also Chinese cartoons, toys, gifts.
Study Chinese in Beijing Affordable Mandarin language courses at BLCU with ChinaUnipath.com.
HNHSoft Dictionary Learn Chinese on Smartphone and PDA with real person's voice.
XueXueXue IQChinese Get beyond the plateau.Take your Mandarin to a new level.
Chinese in Lijiang Short term Chinese study in a beautiful town with a focus on daily life.
MandarinTube Chinese Access to current everyday Chinese language and culture, 24/7.
Learn Chinese Homestay Chinese course, cultural activities & volunteer events in China.
Learn Chinese Online 1-on-1 instant tutoring, diverse courses, native teachers. FREE trial now!
Nihao Chinese Progam Free one-on-one Chinese lesson. Win 5-years of free lessons now!


About Ads (and how to hide them) -- Your message here









wushijiao -



Quote:

Do schools or universities, insist on teachers living on campus?

No. You can rent your own place. It should be fairly easy.



Quote:

Can I get a teaching contract that stipulates (concretely) that I will only work 10-15 hours a
week? How rare are part time teaching jobs?

Most contracts are for 18-20 hours per week. Your best bet might be to work at a public university
teaching spoken English. They won't nickel and dime you, and they usually have a lot of experience
dealing with and helping foreigners. Also, if you teach spoken English at a public university, you
can arrange part-time jobs on the side easily.

The whole key to not getting ripped off is getting numerous refrences from current/past teachers.
It'd even be worth your money to give a current teacher or two a call before you sign a contract.










mr.stinky -

your wife is already living in chengdu. what is her citizenship, and would you qualify
for a family member visa?










nitropuppy -

In answer to
....your wife is already living in chengdu. what is her citizenship, and would you qualify
for a family member visa?

My fiancée is living in Chengdu. She works in Guangzhou, but her residency is in Chengdu. From
what I have read, I can't marry her until I can show possession of the residence permit.(Part of
the prerequisite paperwork) Of course, I realize that marriage to her would entitle me to the
residency permit. But, I must first get the proper visa in order to stay in country and get the
permit.
Ultimately, I would just like to go there, marry her, spend two years and learn her language and
culture. I don't need to work but it seems this is the only way to get a six or twelve month visa.
Once I have the visa, I can apply for the residence permit. Once I have that, I can marry her.
Once I marry her, I can apply for family member status and visa. This seems to be the only order
of the way I can accomplish my goals.
Am I correct in my understanding of things here? I was told I can't get the residence permit on a
tourist visa. Without that, I can't marry her.It's almost a catch-22.
If somebody know different, please tell me.










mr.stinky -

you can get a residence permit on a student visa. i don't know (YET!) about converting to
a family member visa. that's not online for another six months or so.

one possible problem, for me at least; i don't know whether it will be possible to change
type of visa without leaving the country. for now, though, i still have 11 months on my
current residence permit, and can apparently extend as many times as i like.

http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.c..._in_china.html










johnd -

I don't think you need a residence permit to get married if your fiancee is Chinese.I was here on
a tourist visa when I got married. Mr. Stinky's link says:



Quote:

if both parties are foreigners, one side should present a Chinese residence permit

And what's this family member visa, is it something new?










mr.stinky -

that us embassy link could be out of date. i've read that china no longer, or maybe
never did, certifies marriages between two foreigners.

try these (law dated 1983): http://www.86148.com/englishlaw/shownews.asp?id=358
http://www.ebeijing.gov.cn/OLS/chnlaw/t206055.htm

still current law according to: http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.c..._in_china.html

this one is fresher: http://houston.china-consulate.org/v...ge/jh.htm#aoss

new stuff here: http://www.weddingchannel.com/travel...p=1523&l=82374

ohhh..." If both you and your spouse-to-be are foreigners, you will need to present a Chinese
residence permit. The American partner to a marriage in China will need to submit a current
passport and a "certification of marriageability" which can be prepared at the Embassy on the
basis of an affidavit in which the American citizen swears before a Consul that he or she is
currently legally eligible to marry."












All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:14 PM.














Learn Chinese online, Learning Materials, Mandarin audio lessons, Chinese writing lessons, Chinese vocabulary lists, About chinese characters, News in Chinese, Go to China, Travel to China, Study in China, Teach in China, Dictionaries, Learn Chinese Painting, Your name in Chinese, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese songs, Chinese proverbs, Chinese poetry, Chinese tattoo, Beijing 2008 Olympics, Mandarin Phrasebook, Chinese editor, Pinyin editor, China Travel, Travel to Beijing, Travel to Tibet

No comments: