Tuesday, October 7, 2008

HSK - Learn Cantonese - the Norwegian way! - Page 2 -








> Learning Chinese > Non-Mandarin Chinese
Learn Cantonese - the Norwegian way!
Home New Posts

Login: Pass: Log in or register for standard view and full access.





Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 34 >






flameproof -

OK, I did not update here for some time, but Cecilie is still giving lessons and we can still
enjoy the fun - and learn something too!

24/10
mms://202.177.192.108/rthk/radio3/20061024/2006102414.asf
31/10
mms://202.177.192.108/rthk/radio3/20061031/2006103114.asf
07/11
mms://202.177.192.108/rthk/radio3/20061107/2006110714.asf
14/11
mms://202.177.192.108/rthk/radio3/20061114/2006111414.asf
28/11
mms://202.177.192.108/rthk/radio3/20061128/2006112814.asf
12/12
mms://202.177.192.108/rthk/radio3/20061212/2006121214.asf
19/12
mms://202.177.192.108/rthk/radio3/20061219/2006121914.asf
01/09
mms://202.177.192.108/rthk/radio3/20070109/2007010914.asf

(no shows on 21/11, 05/12, 26/12, 02/01)

I D/L them all with GetFlash, cut out all the part I don't want, convert to MP3. A typical lesson
is then 10-15 Minutes and I am glad my car CD can play MP3 CDs...



Pleco Software Learn Chinese with our Dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC.
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Chinese Textbooks Wide range, cheap, varied languages. Also Chinese cartoons, toys, gifts.
Study Chinese in Beijing Affordable Mandarin language courses at BLCU with ChinaUnipath.com.
HNHSoft Dictionary Learn Chinese on Smartphone and PDA with real person's voice.
XueXueXue IQChinese Get beyond the plateau.Take your Mandarin to a new level.
Chinese in Lijiang Short term Chinese study in a beautiful town with a focus on daily life.
MandarinTube Chinese Access to current everyday Chinese language and culture, 24/7.
Learn Chinese Homestay Chinese course, cultural activities & volunteer events in China.
Learn Chinese Online 1-on-1 instant tutoring, diverse courses, native teachers. FREE trial now!
Nihao Chinese Progam Free one-on-one Chinese lesson. Win 5-years of free lessons now!


About Ads (and how to hide them) -- Your message here









Cantofishwife -

Fishwife: A woman regarded as coarse and shrewishly abusive. Cool!
Så morsomt at du kan snakke norsk, Bryan.

I just want to say thanks for your support to flameproof and the other listeners to our RTHK
program. We would like suggestions of words/situations you might be interested in.

Yes Cantonese and Norwegian are virtually indistinguishable, so when you're listening you never
know if I'm speaking Cantonese the Norwegian way or vice versa. I don't know myself. I thought in
our next show we could go to Macau and try to get beaten up by loansharks.

Bye-byyyyyyyyye!

Cecilie
甘茜蓮, esq.










Xiao Kui -

Thanks, flameproof, for the URL updates - i didn't know you were still updating them - will
download right away and check out cool edit - I hate converting asf files to mp3-takes forever
with my app...

Thanks, Cecile, for your great lessons. When I was little, a friend of our family's in the States
was an old Norwegian man who had once worked in China, and Chinese people always said he spoke
Cantonese like a native, which my dad said was because they both were tonal languages. Because I
didn't know Chinese at the time, I had to just take their word for it - but you are living proof!

Now I wish I would have learned Norwegian as a kid. In our family it was only used by the old
folks when they didn't want the barne to understand so my dad didn't learn it, and neither did I.
Now I wish I did, not just for heritage's sake, but maybe it would have helped me with all those
Chinese tones! Thanks again!










flameproof -

Here are the latest 2 Cecilie airings:

01/16 (no canto, Cecilie presents her new book)
mms://202.177.192.108/rthk/radio3/20070116/2007011614.asf

01/23 (canto again, new years greetings)
mms://202.177.192.108/rthk/radio3/20070123/2007012314.asf

Here in my safe home I D/L the lessons, cut out all the the non-Cecilie stuff (incl. the news and
music) and convert to a handy MP3 file. So far it's 25 MP3 and 185Mb.

I wonder if this can be made available to all learners which are technically more challanged.
Sure, technically no problem, but I mean in terms of copyrights...

Cicilie, what you think? Is there a way?










Cantofishwife -

Ha ha, well you'd better ask my handler Sarah Passmore, it is she who rules the waves.
But I can't see why not? They're only words aren't they? To be honest I've never listened to the
program as I don't have a radio and hearing oneself on tape is only marginally less excruciating
than seeing oneself on film, so as far as I'm concerned, you can take them all! Provided you don't
sell them. Or if you do, share the spoils with me.
Yes Sarah said there be an onslaught of new students after we started the programs. I think we
started them... last....? So far the onslaught of new students has been: Zero.

That's why I have to write these books you see, so I have something to fall back on economically
in 2047.










flameproof -

The next lesson ws of course on 30/01

mms://202.177.192.108/rthk/radio3/20070130/2007013014.asf

In the meantime I spoke to "Sarah" to check if I can make my cut out lessons available. But since
RTHK is quite a large organization, and a public service run by public servants the answer could
take some time, if ever...

On the positive side, because of the feedback, RTHK plans podcasts of all previous and new lessons
in the very near future. Now that is great news!

And a VERY great thanks here to Cantofishwife to do those lessons for RTHK - and to join in here!










Cantofishwife -

All in a day's work, I'm sure! Meanwhile RTHK will very shortly set up a poddee castee where you
can hear all the lessons, 28 and counting, in their entirety.

The name will be Naked Cantonese, and we might even have a visual treat for all our faithful
listeners out there. Watch this space.

We're really pleased with the great reactions we've got so far and will work hard to make Naked
Cantonese a global force to be reckoned with, and a (for me anyway) a weapon in the fight against
linguistic imperialism.

A hundred years ago Norwegians looked down on their own language and preferred to use French,
Swedish or Danish when they wanted to stand out from the plebs. The Norwegian language has since
come into its own, and has rid itself of its former colonial Danish background. The Norwegian
language now boosts a proud literary heritage on par with that of Britain or Ireland.

Several hundred years ago even English was but a frowned-upon dialect spoken by the poor: anybody
worth their salt would speak French, or in religious matters, Latin. The English language used to
be that of servants and serfs but is now ruling the world, if not in numbers of native speakers so
at least in impact.

Cantonese is now under threat according to some people; every foreign person in Hong Kong who has
ever expressed a wish to learn it will know what I mean. "You should learn Mandarin instead!
Cantonese is useless!" is the knee-jerk reaction every would-be Canto learner hears everywhere.

I see today's Cantonese as the Norwegian of a hundred years ago, looked down upon as the language
of the lower classes. We must protect and cherish it as the vibrant, fun and funky language it is,
and not let it go the way of many other Chinese languages, deemed by the rulers and thereby the
people, to be somehow inferior.

Putonghua is boring and set in stone. Cantonese is living, full-on, wild and strangely beautiful
as well as the one constantly evolving within a language group - Chinese, whose written words
haven't changed for thousands of years. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, boring Putonghua
purists!










wannabeafreak -

Hello Cecilie,

I've read your book Blonde Lotus. You've got one interesting life. I still need to make the trip
to Lantau Island to meet you, however, my Cantonese is currently substandard.

In regards to the RTHK production, I think the level is far too basic and there is simply too much
English. I would prefer you teach either intermediate or advanced Canto using only Cantonese. If
you keep teaching basic Cantonese, it doesn't really help and I think using too much English is
kind of time wasting.

If you get a chance, please take a look at the MP3s my wife kindly records to boost my Cantonese
listening comprehension. My listening skill is unfortunately now much more advanced than my
口窒窒 hau2 zat6 zat6 oral skills.










Cantofishwife -

Hi there!
If you want to learn more intermediate or advanced Cantonese, feel free to take my course any
time. Teaching Cantonese is what I do for a living, not making radio programs.I have several free
slots during the week.










flameproof -



Quote:

In regards to the RTHK production, I think the level is far too basic and there is simply too much
English.

To be fair, remember it's an English language radio station and the program also need to appeal to
the not learning audience. Based on that, I say it's excellent.



Quote:

If you want to learn more intermediate or advanced Cantonese, feel free to take my course any
time. Teaching Cantonese is what I do for a living,

I was considering one of those pub meetings, but I am afraid of any excessive alcohol contact,
which currently conflict with certain car driving regulations.

Cecilie, it would be good to see what's on offer. Your web page does not give many details. For
me, the problem is always time. Evening classes are just too inconvenient. Some sort of "Cecilie
run" ChinesePod.com would be great, but a bit more structured and less chaotic.

Her webpage is: http://www.happyjellyfish.com












All times are GMT +8. The time now is 04:09 PM.














Learn Chinese, Free Chinese Lesson, Learning Materials, Mandarin audio lessons, Chinese writing lessons, Chinese vocabulary lists, About chinese characters, News in Chinese, Go to China, Travel to China, Study in China, Teach in China, Dictionaries, Learn Chinese Painting, Your name in Chinese, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese songs, Chinese proverbs, Chinese poetry, Chinese tattoo, Beijing 2008 Olympics, Mandarin Phrasebook, Chinese editor, Pinyin editor, China Travel, Travel to Beijing, Travel to Tibet

No comments: