Monday, November 3, 2008

Chinese Class - What's this word? -








> Learning Chinese > Speaking and Listening
What's this word?
Home New Posts

Login: Pass: Log in or register for standard view and full access.





Page 1 of 2 1 2 >






OneEye -

In the China Panorama videos I'm learning from, there's a word the main character says that isn't
in the book's transcription. The transcription says 几点见面?/ Jǐ diǎn jiànmiàn? But I
hear 几点 lóng 见面?/ Jǐ diǎn lóng jiànmiàn? The meaning given is "When shall we
meet?" What is she saying here? Which character is it? And why does she say it / why doesn't the
book have it? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.



Pleco Software Learn Chinese with our Dictionaries for Palm and Pocket PC.
Learn Chinese in China Learn to speak Chinese 1MonthChinese.com -Mandarin School in China.
Chinese Textbooks Wide range, cheap, varied languages. Also Chinese cartoons, toys, gifts.
Study Chinese in Beijing Affordable Mandarin language courses at BLCU with ChinaUnipath.com.
HNHSoft Dictionary Learn Chinese on Smartphone and PDA with real person's voice.
XueXueXue IQChinese Get beyond the plateau.Take your Mandarin to a new level.
Chinese in Lijiang Short term Chinese study in a beautiful town with a focus on daily life.
MandarinTube Chinese Access to current everyday Chinese language and culture, 24/7.
Learn Chinese Homestay Chinese course, cultural activities & volunteer events in China.
Learn Chinese Online 1-on-1 instant tutoring, diverse courses, native teachers. FREE trial now!
Nihao Chinese Progam Free one-on-one Chinese lesson. Win 5-years of free lessons now!


About Ads (and how to hide them) -- Your message here









DrZero -

Are you sure it's not zhong1?
By the way, how do you like the series, and what level is it designed for?










OneEye -

No, I'm pretty sure it's lóng. The main character, 方雪芹, speaks very clearly.

I really like the series so far. I've written a lot about it on my blog (see sig), so I won't
ramble on about it too much. It has its shortcomings like any course, but they can easily be
overcome with a few minor tweaks. What I like most is getting visual input rather than just audio.
You can see the language being used in different situations, so more senses are involved in the
learning process. I think learning to communicate without seeing how people communicate is like
learning to cook without smelling and tasting the different ingredients, spices, herbs, and sauces.

I also like how expansive the course is, starting at a raw beginner level with the Phonetic
Introduction and Approaching Chinese (teaches 1000 words) courses, then Intermediate Chinese
(taking you from 1000-2500 words), then the two advanced courses, Chinese for Tourism and Chinese
for Business. If you follow three of the main courses (I'll be doing Approaching, Intermediate,
and Tourism), it's 48 VCDs, and at 75 minutes each, that's 60 hours of video instruction, plus
1500 pages of text.

Anyway, I said I wasn't going to ramble, and I did. Check out my blog to see what I've been doing,
and I'll be posting a summary my current approach on the blog later today.










againstwind -

Would it be neng2?

几点能见面?/ Jǐ diǎn neng2 jiànmiàn?

The meaning is still "When shall we meet?", or rather "When can we meet?"










OneEye -

It could be. It still sounds like lóng, but I could be hearing it wrong. You can watch the video
here if you register (it's free). It's Approaching Chinese, lesson 5, part 2.

Here's the dialogue, as given in the book (this is a phone conversation):

方雪芹: 喂,你好!

李文龙: 雪芹,我是文龙.今天你忙吗?

方雪芹: 不忙。

李文龙: 晚上有没有时间?

方雪芹:有时间。

李文龙: 晚上一起吃饭,好吗?

方雪芹: 好的。几点见面?

李文龙: 你几点下班?

方雪芹: 六点。

李文龙: 六点十分我去接你,好吗?

方雪芹: 好的。再见。

李文龙: 再见。


If it is 能, why would they omit that in the book? Maybe just a typo?


Side note: the "summary" I mentioned earlier is posted on my blog. I'd appreciate feedback very
much if anyone has time to read it. The link to the blog is in my signature.










HashiriKata -

I just registered to have a look but couldn't log in. Does it take some time for the registration
to take effect? (This is not mentioned anywhere on the site)










OneEye -

It might, I don't remember. It's been a few months since I registered.










lokki -

Fwiw I think I hear it pretty clearly as zhong: 几点钟见面? but I am no more advanced than
you so you can take it with a pinch of salt.

I'd guess it's a typo in the book, or the text was written first and was sent off for printing,
and then it just happened to slip out that way during recording. If it is zhong, at least the
meaning stays exactly the same even when it's left out.










tanhql -

it IS 几点钟见面. the 'zh' sound is obvious.










OneEye -

Ok, several votes for 钟, so I'll I guess go with that. The 'zh' sound is still not obvious,
though, but thanks for being tactful, tanhql.

Maybe I'm not hearing it because I just don't know that word yet. I'll ask some of my Chinese
co-workers today when I get to work, though.












All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:20 PM.














Learn Chinese, Chinese Mandarin, Learning Materials, Mandarin audio lessons, Chinese writing lessons, Chinese vocabulary lists, About chinese characters, News in Chinese, Go to China, Travel to China, Study in China, Teach in China, Dictionaries, Learn Chinese Painting, Your name in Chinese, Chinese calligraphy, Chinese songs, Chinese proverbs, Chinese poetry, Chinese tattoo, Beijing 2008 Olympics, Mandarin Phrasebook, Chinese editor, Pinyin editor, China Travel, Travel to Beijing, Travel to Tibet

No comments: